Sunday, November 19, 2006

Designing interfaces the iPod way

Recently I started using the iPod, to listen to podcasts, on my way to and back from work. The one thing that I find most fascinating about this device is the simplicity of its user interface. You have a touch sensitive dial to work with the volume, and around that are buttons to play/pause, forward, rewind, and a button to view the menu. I am sure that on the inside the product has a lot of complex engineering but on the outside, all the elements of its user interface are very basic and very functional in nature.

Why can't the same principles be applied to the software world? Why is it that any time that I look around there is a new API, with its own unique way of working with it? Why can't the APIs be as simple and as elegant as the iPod user interface?

No comments: